At Canberra in the Australian Capital Territory, Wellfield Lodge's 4-time Gr1-winning stallion Alamosa (O'Reilly-Lodore Mystic, by Centaine) added a black-type success when 5YO New Zealand-bred gelding Almost Court (Alamosa-Cincer Bella, by Victory Dance) scored a strong front-running victory in the $200,000 Listed Canberra Cup (2000m) for 3YO+, defeating Admiral Jello & Get On The Grange. Almost Court, a son of dual Gr1 winning Kiwi mare Cinder Bella and a $36,000 purchase at the 2014 NZ Bloodstock Select Yearling Sale from the draft of Curraghmore Stud, improved his record to 7 wins and 3 placings from 15 starts for $237,624 in earnings.
At Royal Randwick in Sydney, former Macquarie Stud Gr2 & Gr3-placed stallion Power Of Destiny (Danehill-Jeanetta Cochrane, by Sadler's Wells) added a black-type success when evergreen 9YO bay gelding Destiny's Kiss (Power Of Destiny-A Fairy's Kiss, by Stravinsky) claimed his eighth stakes victory when lumping top weight of 60kg to win the $125,000 Listed City Tattersalls Club Cup (2400m) for 3YO+, defeating Alward & Admiral Jello. Retained to race by prominent owner Nick Moraitis when passed in for $7,000 at the 2010 Inglis Classic Yearling Sale, Destiny's Kiss improved his record to 17 wins (including the Listed Wyong Gold Cup, Listed Australia Day Cup – twice, Listed Christmas Cup, Listed Gosford Gold Cup & Listed Winter Stakes) and 15 placings (including the Listed Gosford Gold Cup) from 75 starts for $1,261,618 in earnings.
At Rosehill Gardens in Sydney, 6YO French-bred gelding Auvray (Le Havre-Ameyrah, by In The Wings) broke through for his first stakes victory in Australia when grinding out a tough win in the $150,000 Gr3 Colin Stephen Quality (2400m) for 3YO+, defeating Admiral Jello & Broadside. Auvray, an €800,000 purchase by the China Horse Club at the Arqana Arc Sale in 2014, improved his record to 7 wins (including the Gr2 Prix Chaudenay & Gr3 Prix de Lutece) and 3 placings (including the Gr3 Newcastle Gold Cup) from 28 starts for $550,816 in earnings.
At Newcastle in the Hunter region of NSW, White Robe Lodge's regally bred stallion Raise The Flag (Sadler's Wells-Hasili, Kahyasi) added a black-type success when 6YO bay gelding Broadside (Raise The Flag-Anam Cara, by Straight Strike) opened his stakes account when scoring a bold front-running win in the $175,000 Gr3 Newcastle Gold Cup (2300m) for 3YO+, defeating Auvray & Admiral Jello. Broadside improved his record to 6 wins and 3 placings (including the Listed McKell Cup) from 13 starts for $294,493 in earnings. Broadside will make his next appearance in the $750,000 Gr1 Metropolitan Handicap (2400m) at Royal Randwick on 30 September. "We were disappointed last start but he had legitimate excuses being first-up over 1900 metres. To produce a run like that second-up takes a tough horse," said co-trainer Adrian Bott. "He'll head to the Metropolitan [Gr1] next and he's in some of the feature races in Melbourne."
The final field has been declared and the barrier draw conducted for the $600,000 Gr1 Queensland Derby (2400m) to be run at Eagle Farm this Saturday. The current favourite for the race is the Darren Weir-trained South Australian Derby winner Howard Be Thy Name who is at $4.40 with TAB, ahead of Eagle Way at $4.80, Mackintosh at $5, and Eschiele and Etymology who are both available at $8.50. The final field is:
1. HOWARD BE THY NAME (Darren Weir-Brad Rawiller) 57kg (2)
2. ETYMOLOGY (John O'Shea-James McDonald) 57kg (19)
3. MACKINTOSH (Chris Waller-Blake Shinn) 57kg (5)
4. CYLINDER BEACH (Desleigh Forster-Michael Cahill) 57kg (10)
5. I'M BELUCCI (Desleigh Forster-Jim Byrne) 57kg (12)
6. ENCOSTA LINE (Chris Waller-Hugh Bowman) 57kg (8)
7. EAGLE WAY (Bryan Guy-Tommy Berry) 57kg (11)
8. RODRICO (Chris Waller-Joao Moreira) 57kg (13)
9. COLONEL CUSTER (Bjorn Baker-Adam Hyeronimus) 57kg (18)
10. RED ALTO (Paul Banks-Damien Oliver) 57kg (7)
11. MULTIFACETS (Chris Waller-Tim Clark) 57kg (9)
12. BRAZEN (David Vandyke-Zac Purton) 57kg (17)
13. ESCHIELE (John O'Shea-Damian Browne) 57kg (3)
14. ADMIRAL JELLO (Kris Lees-Aaron Bullock) 57kg (15)
15. SNAPPER (John Morrisey-Ryan Wiggins) 57kg (14)
16. MAVEN WIZ (Anthony Cummings-Tye Angland) 57kg (1)
17. STAR ZONE (Brian Gentle-Jason Collett) 57kg (6)
18. HARVARD (Ciaron Maher-Dwayne Dunn) 57kg (16)
19e. SLAUGHTER BAY (Bryan Dais) 57kg (4)