At Pinjarra in WA, stakes winning stallion Mettre En Jeu (Montjeu-Delgatie Queen, by Spectacular Love) added a black-type success when 5YO New Zealand-bred gelding Plays The Game (Mettre En Jeu-Play Mistress, by Brief Truce) charged down the outside of the field to score a strong win in the $120,000 Listed Pinjarra Cup (2300m) for 3YO+, defeating Dark Musket & Cappo D'Oro. Purchased privately from New Zealand by his trainer Michael Lane, Plays The Game improved his record to 3 wins and 8 placings from 23 starts for $113,008 in earnings.
At Bunbury in WA, Rangeview Stud's Gr3-winning stallion So Secret (Danetime-Most Secret, by Bletchley Park) added a black-type success when 5YO Australian-bred gelding Couleur Bizarre (So Secret-Fine Memories, by Verglas) led virtually all the way to post his first stakes win in the $120,000 Listed Bunbury Cup (2200m) for 3YO+, defeating Cappo D'oro & Dark Musket. Couleur Bizarre improved his record to 6 wins and 17 placings from 49 starts for $354,360 in earnings.
At Ascot racecourse in Perth, West Australia, Scenic Lodge's VRC Derby-winning sire Blackfriars (Danehill-Kensington Gardens, by Grosvenor) added a black-type success when 4YO gelding Kia Ora Koutou (Blackfriars-Kia Ora Miss, by Jeune) drew clear to score a strong 1.25 length win for trainers Geoff Durrant and Jason Miller in the $100,000 Listed Japan Racing Association Trophy (2200m) for 3YO+, over 5YO geldings Star Exhibit (Statue of Liberty-Star Encounter, by Jeune) & Dark Musket (Musket-Oriental Lass, by Faltaat). This was a well deserved maiden stakes victory for the highly talented Kia Ora Koutou who improved his record to 5 wins and 4 placings (including the Gr1 VRC Victoria Derby) from 13 starts for $442,350 earnings.
The final field has been declared for the 102nd running of the weight-for-age $250,000 Gr2 C.B. Cox Stakes (2100m) at Ascot in West Australia on Saturday. The field is:
1. EXTRA ZERO (D Hayes & T Dabernig-Chris Parnham) 59kg (10)
2. BLACK HEART BART (Vaughn Sigley-Glenn Smith) 59kg (2)
3. ASK ME NICELY (Fred Kersley) 59kg (8)
4. TOWER OF LONHRO (Adam Durrant) 59kg (3)
5. BASS STRAIT (Neville Parnham) 59kg (4)
6.KIROV BOY (Arthur Mortimer) 59kg (1)
7. WOODSVILLE (Jeff Noske) 59kg (9)
8. DARK MUSKET (Graeme Ballantyne-Jason Whiting) 58kg (11)
9. BALMONT GIRL (Paula Wagg-Shaun O'Donnell) 57kg (7)
10. REAL LOVE (Adam Durrant) 57kg (5)
11. Delicacy (Grant Williams-William Pike) 56kg (6)
At Ascot in Western Australia, Vinery shuttler More Than Ready (Southern Halo-Woodman's Girl, by Woodman) celebrated an elite Gr1 success when boom 3YO filly Perfect Reflection (More Than Ready-Reflected Image, by Bluebird) maintained her perfect record when scoring a narrow 0.05-length win for trainer Grant Williams in the $1 million Gr1 Kingston Town Classic (1800m) for 3YO+, over 4YO mare and stable-mate Delicacy (Al Maher-Simply Wicked, by Scenic) & 4YO gelding Dark Musket (Musket-Oriental Lass, by Faltaat). A homebred for prominent WA owner and breeder Bob Peters, Perfect Reflection became the first filly in history to win the Kingston Town since its inception in 1979 and in the process extended her unbeaten record to 5 wins (including the Gr3 WATC Champion Fillies Stakes & Listed WATC Belgravia Stakes) from 5 starts for $863,950 earnings.
The final field has been declared and the barrier draw conducted for the 40th running of the $1 million Gr1 Kingston Town Classic (1800m) at Ascot in Perth on Saturday. The final field is:
1. EXTRA ZERO (D. HAYES & T. DABERNIG-MARK ZAHRA) 59kg (5)
2. BLACK HEART BART (VAUGHN SIGLEY-GLENN SMITH) 59kg (3)
3. TOWER OF LONHRO (ADAM DURRANT-JOSEPH AZZOPARDI ) 59kg (4)
4. MAGIC ARTIST (ANDREAS WOHLER-DAMIEN OLIVER) 59kg (1)
5. BASS STRAIT (NEVILLE PARNHAM-PATRICK CARBERY) 59kg (8)
6. WOODSVILLE (JEFF NOSKE-JARRAD NOSKE ) 59kg (11)
7. HAZZABEEL (DANIEL MORTON-DAMIAN LANE ) 59kg (5)
8. DARK MUSKET (GRAEME BALLANTYNE-JASON WHITING) 58.5 (13)
9. BALMONT GIRL (PAULA WAGG-SHAUN O'DONNELL) 57kg (2)
10.REAL LOVE (ADAM DURRANT-CHRIS PARNHAM) 57kg (7)
11. DELICACY (GRANT WILLIAMS-PETER HALL) 56.5kg (16)
12. NEVERLAND (GRANT WILLIAMS-DOUGLAS WHITE) 56.5kg (10)
13. MAN BOOKER (DANIEL MORTON-JERRY NOSKE) 52kg (9)
14. LONDON LINE (DANIEL MORTON-BRAD PARNHAM) 52kg (6)
15. BLACKWOOD (FRED KERSLEY-STEVEN PARNHAM) 50kg (14)
16. PERFECT REFLECTION (GRANT WILLIAMS-WILLIAM PIKE) 50kg (12)
At Belmont in West Australia, Yarradale Stud's Gr2-winning stallion Musket (Redoute's Choice-Tugela, by Riverman), a three-quarter brother to champion mare and three-time Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva, celebrated his first stakes winner when 3YO gelding Dark Musket (Musket-Oriental Lass, by Faltaat) scored by a nose for trainer Graeme Ballantyne in the $100,000 Listed Belmont Classic (2200m) for 3YOs, over fellow 3YO geldings North Ridge (Danehill Express-Noreaster, by Fuji Kiseki) & Settlers Creek (Discorsi-Three Sisters, by Nuclear Freeze). Dark Musket took his record to 3 wins and 2 placings from 8 starts for $115,100 earnings. Dark Musket was purchased by John Chalmers Bloodstock for just $4,000 as a weanling at the 2012 Magic Millions Perth Winter Thoroughbred Sale from the draft of Geisel Park.