At Flemington racecourse in Melbourne, Coolmore's former dual Champion Australian Sire Encosta De Lago (Fairy King-Shoal Creek, by Star Way) added a black-type success when 6YO bay gelding De Little Engine (Encosta de Lago-Arapaho Miss, by Danehill Dancer) relished the step up to two miles when bounding clear for an easy win in the $200,000 Listed Ramsden Stakes (3200m) for 3YO+, defeating Mujadale & Like A Carousel. De Little Engine, who was a $47,500 purchase at the 2011 Inglis Australian Select Weanling Sale from the draft of Amarina Farm, improved his record to 9 wins and 11 placings (including the Listed MRC Galilee Series Final Handicap & Listed VRC Bagot Handicap) from 46 starts for $736,040 earnings. De Little Engine is out of VRC Oaks winner Arapaho Miss and descends from the family of Gr1 Preakness Stakes winner and champion US sire Tom Rolfe.
The final field has been declared and the barrier draw conducted for the $3 million Gr1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) to be run at Caulfield racecourse in Melbourne on Saturday. The Ciaron Maher-trained Jameka has maintained her place at the top of the market at $3.30 despite drawing wide in barrier 13. Next best is the West Australian mare Real Love and German stayer Articus at $7.50, while Godolphin's Scottish is the only other runner under double figure odds at $8.50. The final field is:
1. PREFERMENT (Chris Waller-Hugh Bowman) 57kg (15)
2. OUR IVANHOWE (Lee & Anthony Freedman-D Dunn) 56.5kg (6)
3. EXOSPHERIC (Lee & Anthony Freedman-Damien Oliver) 55.5kg (3)
4. SCOTTISH (Charlie Appleby-Kerrin McEvoy) 55kg (7)
5. SIR ISAAC NEWTON (Aidan O'Brien-Colm O'Donoghue) 55kg (9)
6. TARZINO (Mick Price-Craig Newitt) 54.5kg (4)
7. ALMOONQITH (David & B Hayes & T Dabernig-M Walker) 54kg (2)
8. SIR JOHN HAWKWOOD (John Thompson-Blake Spriggs) 53.5kg (5)
9. ARTICUS (Andreas Wohler-Zac Purton) 53kg (11)
10. TALLY (John O'Shea-Brenton Avdulla) 53kg (19)
11. JAMEKA (Ciaron Maher-Nicholas Hall) 52.5kg (13)
12. REAL LOVE (Darren Weir-Craig Williams) 52.5kg (10)
13. SET SQUARE (Ciaron Maher-Michael Dee) 52kg (20)
14. BIG MEMORY (Tony McEvoy-Chris Parnham) 51.5kg (12)
15. SACRED MASTER (Chris Waller-Tommy Berry) 51.5kg (8)
16. FANATIC (Graeme Sanders-Dean Yendall ) 50.5kg (16)
17. PEMBERLEY (Ciaron Maher-Ben Allen) 50.5kg (17)
18. GO DREAMING (Grant Kluske-Ms Katelyn Mallyon) 50.5kg (1)
19e. DE LITTLE ENGINE (Danny O'Brien-Ben Thompson) 50.5kg (14)
20e. VENGEUR MASQUE (Michael Moroney-Patrick Moloney) 50.5kg (18)
At Flemington in Melbourne, 5YO French-bred gelding Glorious Sinndar (Sinndar-Aloisi, by Kalanisi) landed the biggest prize of his career when scoring by 0.1-length for trainer Darren Weir in the $200,000 Listed Andrew Ramsden Stakes (3200m) for 3YO+, over 4YO Japanese entire The Bandit (Empire Maker-Ravi's Lovin, by Giant's Causeway) & 5YO gelding De Little Engine (Encosta de Lago-Arapaho Miss, by Danehill Dancer). Raced by the Newcastle-based Australian Bloodstock, former German galloper Glorious Sinndar improved his record to 6 wins and 4 placings from 16 starts for $186,106 earnings.
At Caulfield, Australia's Champion 2YO Colt of 2007-2008 and Widden Stud sire Sebring (More Than Ready-Purespeed, by Flying Spur) added a black-type success when promising 3YO gelding Bring Something (Sebring-Metellus, by Naturalism) scored by 2-lengths for trainer Ken Keys in the $120,000 Listed Galilee Series Final (2400m) for 3YOs, over fellow 3YO geldings De Little Engine (Encosta de Lago-Arapaho Miss, by Danehill Dancer) & Honey Steel's Gold (Keep the Faith-Lunar Lights, by Bianconi). This was the first stakes victory for Bring Something who took his record to 2 wins and 1 placing from 10 starts for $149,875 earnings. Keys purchased Bring Something for $30,000 at the 2012 Inglis Premier Yearling Sale from the draft of Northern Lodge Stud. Bring Something is out of the Naturalism mare Metellus, a granddaughter of the wonderful producer Denise's Joy. This is one of the most successful Australian families in the stud book and includes the likes of Tuesday Joy, More Joyous, Sunday Joy, Joie Denise, Joie De Grise, Thorn Park, Bentley Biscuit and Light Up The World.