At Sandown in Melbourne, Arrowfield Stud's multiple stakes-winning stallion Not A Single Doubt (Redoute's Choice-Single's Bar, by Rory's Jester) added a Group race success when 5YO Australian-bred mare Payroll (Not A Single Doubt-Workhard, Red Ransom) scored a narrow in the $150,000 Gr3 Eclipse Stakes (1800m) for 3YO+, defeating Kidmenever & Jacquinot Bay. This was the second stakes victory for Payroll who improved her record to 4 wins (including the Listed Spear Chief Handicap) and 8 placings (including the Gr2 Thousand Guineas Prelude & the Listed Redoute's Choice Stakes) from 22 starts for $449,650 in earnings.
At Bendigo racecourse in Victoria, former Coolmore shuttler and triple Gr1-winning champion European sire Galileo (Sadler's Wells-Urban Sea, by Miswaki) added a black-type quinella when 6YO UK-bred gelding Observational (Galileo-Party, by Cadeaux Genereux) scored by 0.4 length for trainer John Sadler in the $150,000 Listed Golden Mile (1600m) for 3YO+, over 9YO gelding Jacquinot Bay (Galileo-La la Land, by Last Tycoon) & 4YO NZ-bred gelding War Legend (Rip Van Winkle-Sea of Faith, by Danehill). In posting his first stakes victory since arriving in Australia, Observational improved his record to 3 wins (including the Listed Cocked Hat Stakes) and 3 placings (including the Gr3 MRC Easter Cup) from 18 starts for $335,681 earnings.
The final field has been declared and the barrier draw conducted for the $500,000 Gr1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) to be run at Flemington this Saturday. Former West Australian galloper and dual Gr1 winner Black Heart Bart is currently the dominant $2.25 favourite for the race, ahead of stable-mate Palentino at $6 and Victoria Derby winner Tarzino at $10. The final field is:
1. PRINCE OF PENZANCE (Darren Weir-John Allen) 59kg (12)
2. HAPPY TRAILS (Paul Beshara-Ben Melham) 59kg (11)
3. BLACK HEART BART (Darren Weir-Damien Oliver) 59kg (8)
4. OUR IVANHOWE (Lee & Anthony Freedman-Daniel Moor) 59kg (7)
5. JACQUINOT BAY (David & B Hayes & T Dabernig-N Hall) 59kg (9)
6. ENTIRELY PLATINUM (Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes-D Dunn) 59kg (1)
7. HE OR SHE (David & B Hayes & T Dabernig-C Williams) 59kg (6)
8. ALPINE EAGLE (Tony McEvoy-Luke Currie) 59kg (10)
9. TARZINO (Mick Price-Craig Newitt) 58.5kg (4)
10. PALENTINO (Darren Weir-Mark Zahra) 58.5kg (5)
11. AYERS ROCK (Shawn Mathrick-Luke Nolen) 58.5kg (3)
12. RISING ROMANCE (David & B Hayes & T Dabernig-D Lane) 57kg (2)
13. SOFIA ROSA (Stephen Marsh-Danielle Johnson) 56.5kg (13)
At Caulfield in Melbourne, Coolmore's former dual Champion Australian Sire Encosta De Lago (Fairy King-Shoal Creek, by Star Way) added a Group success when 6YO mare Miss Rose De Lago (Encosta de Lago-Crimson Dawn, by Fasliyev) scored by 0.5-length for trainer Danny O'Brien in the $200,000 Gr2 PB Lawrence Stakes (1400m) for 3YO+, over 9YO gelding Jacquinot Bay (Galileo-La la Land, by Last Tycoon) & 7YO gelding Entirely Platinum (Pentire-Platinum Blond, by Kaapstad). Miss Rose De Lago, who was purchased for $210,000 at the 2012 Magic Millions Gold Coast Yearling Sale, advanced her record to 9 wins (including the Gr2 Sunline Stakes, Gr3 Ladies Day Vase & Gr3 WATC Champion Fillies Stakes) and 7 placings (including the Gr3 WATC Northerly Stakes) from 29 starts for $882,640 earnings. Trainer Danny O'Brien said Miss Rose De Lago would have her next start in the Gr2 Dato' Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) at Moonee Valley on 3 September.
The final field has been declared and the barrier draw conducted for the $200,000 Gr2 PB Lawrence Stakes (1400m) to be run at Caulfield on Saturday. Favourite for the race is the Darren Weir-trained Mahuta at $4 ahead of last-start Gr3 Bletchingly Stakes winner Lord Of the Sky and dual Gr1-winning mare Suavito who share the second line of betting at $5.50. The only other horses under double-figure odds are Miss Rose de Lago at $7 and reigning Tasmanian Horse of the Year The Cleaner at $9. The final field is:
1. SMOKIN' JOEY (Wez Hunter-Chris Parnham) 59kg (9)
2. THE CLEANER (Peter Gelagotis-Steven Arnold) 59kg (2)
3. LORD OF THE SKY (Robbie Laing-Mark Zahra) 59kg (11)
4. JACQUINOT BAY (David & B Hayes & T Dabernig-D Lane) 59kg (3)
5. ENTIRELY PLATINUM (Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes-D Dunn) 59kg (14)
6. AWESOME ROCK (Leon & Troy Corstens-Stephen Baster) 59kg (4)
7. TALL SHIP (Darren Weir-Dean Yendall) 59kg (12)
8. MAGNAPAL (Terry & Karina-O'Sullivan-Luke Currie) 59kg (13)
9. BERISHA (Robert Smerdon-Ben Thompson) 59kg (15)
10. NEVIS - scratched
11. MAHUTA (Darren Weir-Brad Rawiller) 58.5kg (5)
12. SUAVITO (Nigel Blackiston-Michael Walker) 57kg (7)
13. SET SQUARE (Ciaron Maher-Nicholas Hall) 57kg (10)
14. MISS ROSE DE LAGO (Danny O'Brien-Damien Oliver) 57kg (1)
15. JAMEKA (Ciaron Maher-Craig Williams) 56.5kg (8)
At Caulfield in Melbourne, Coolmore's former dual Champion Australian Sire Encosta de Lago (Fairy King-Shoal Creek, by Star Way) added a Group success when 7YO gelding Smokin' Joey (Encosta de Lago-Dalzing, by Blazing Sword) scored by 0.1-length for trainer Wez Hunter in the $150,000 Gr3 Carlyon Cup (1600m) for 3YO+, over fellow 7YO gelding Jacquinot Bay (Galileo-La la Land, by Last Tycoon) & 5YO gelding Backstedt (Magnus-Lycra, by Tights). Smokin' Joey took his record to 7 wins (including the Gr1 Goodwood Handicap, Gr3 Tab.com.au Stakes, Gr3 Victoria Handicap & Listed March Stakes) and 7 placings (including the Gr1 Emirates Stakes & Gr3 Sebring Stakes) from 47 starts for $1,204,033 earnings.
At Albury in New South Wales, Erin Park Stud's stakes-winning stallion Dream Ballad (Singspiel-Whisked, by Whiskey Road) celebrated his first stakes winner when 4YO gelding Canny Ballad (Dream Ballad-Briars Lass, by Canny Lad) scored by 0.1-length for trainer Guy Walter in the $170,000 Listed Albury Gold Cup (2000m) for 3YO+, over 5YO gelding Price Of Glory (Seidnazar-Princess Eliza, by Rubiton) & 6YO gelding and stable-mate Jacquinot Bay (Galileo-La la Land, by Last Tycoon). Canny Ballad took his record to 5 wins and 10 placings from 18 starts for $268,155 earnings. Canny Ballad is from the second crop of Dulcify Quality winner Dream Ballad, a half-brother to Walter's 13-time Gr1 winner Tie The Knot from the wonderful producer Whisked, winner of the VATC 1,000 Guineas.
At Canberra in the Australian Capital Territory, former shuttler and triple Gr1-winning champion European sire Galileo (Sadler's Wells-Urban Sea, by Miswaki) added a black-type success when 6YO gelding Jacquinot Bay (Galileo-La la Land, by Last Tycoon) scored by 0.8-length for trainer Guy Walter in the $200,000 Listed Canberra Cup (2000m) for 3YO+, over 7YO geldings Honourable Aussie (Honours List-Beach Barbie, by Kenny's Best Pal) & Extra Zero (Danzero-Extra Bubbly, by Bellotto). This was a deserved maiden stakes success for the consistent Jacquinot Bay who took his record to 8 wins and 3 placings from 18 starts for $399,150 earnings.
The Paul Messara-trained 4YO entire Mahisara is the $4.50 favourite to win this afternoon's $125,000 Gr3 Newmarket Handicap (1400m) at Newcastle. The son of More Than Ready is chasing his 4th win from his past 5 starts, and will be ridden by big race jockey Craig Williams. Second favourite at $6.00 is 5YO gelding Jacquinot Bay, only beaten once (when runner-up) in 7 starts, ahead of $7.00 quote Laser Hawk.