Daily News Archive
Daily News Subscription
New VRC Feature Raceday: Flemington Finals Day
Meanwhile Victoria Racing Club chief executive Dale Monteith announced "a number of significant VRC race programming initiatives, developed in conjunction with metropolitan & country clubs through Racing Victoria, leading to a new feature day of racing" titled Flemington Finals Day on Saturday July 4 (formerly Grand National Steeplechase Day). Monteith noted: "The departure of jumps racing from Flemington (following the recent Review Of Jumps Racing In Victoria) has created an opportunity for the VRC to partner with a range of Victorian clubs to create a unique day of flat racing at Flemington." Three new Series of races have been created, culminating in:
- $150,000 Banjo Paterson Series Final (2500m) with heats at Flemington (3 heats), Caulfield & Sandown.
- $150,000 All Victorian Sprint Series Final (1200m) with heats at Flemington (2), Moonee Valley (2), Caulfield & Swan Hill.
- $100,000 Rivette Series Final (1600m for 3YO fillies) with heats at Sandown (2), Moonee Valley, Cranbourne & Geelong Thoroughtrack.
- In addition, the existing NDRA/VRC Silver Bowl Series will be significantly upgraded. Formerly, the final race (1600m for 3YOs) was a $50,000 event at a VRC midweek meeting, but it will now be a $100,000 race on Flemington Finals Day, with heats at Donald, Echuca, Swan Hill, Bendigo & Kyneton.
- These races will complement the traditional $200,000 VRC-CRV Winter Championship Final at Flemington on Saturday July 4 2009, following heats at Flemington (2), Bendigo, Cranbourne, Seymour & Ballarat.